Friday, November 16, 2007

Signs of a Truce?

In a recent post, I spoke of the Senator listing a link to the Landmark on their webpage. I took it to be a sign of a cozy relationship between the two. I predicted this would sour, and the scuffle over who gets to show Blade Runner seemed prescient.

Since then, the Senator's web site has changed. For a time it listed links to both the Landmark and the Charles, which I took to be a nod to some sort of begrudging equity. Now, only a link to the Charles' website is listed, under a banner exclaiming "Support Baltimore's Independent theaters!" The emphasis is my own.

Now, the Landmark is many things, but it not Independent, and perhaps there has been a shift in allegiance here. It is hard to believe that these two long-standing rivals are getting along, but desperate times may call for desperate measures. I am curious to see how this ongoing drama plays out in the next act.

In other news, opportunities to see El Topo, The Holy Mountain, and Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen will be happening soon, and I would advise taking advantage of them.

No comments: