Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Quick Takes

I have just returned from a preview screening of No Country for Old Men, and I would say that it is a return to form for the Coen Brothers. After the abysmal mess that was their last film, it is good to see them returning to familiar territory in some ways while still being technically brilliant and boundary-pushing in others. Although the Joe Popcorns may leave shaking their heads, I was very pleased, and I highly recommend the film.

Two "one week wonders" of note would be Control and This is England. Although "the Joy Division movie" was a standard biopic in many ways, I could not help but pump my fist every time the lads broke into another song (most played live). Forget all that mopey goth baggage, the movie is a must for anyone whose life or musical direction was touched by this group. Digging into some of the same time and territory, This is England states the case of some of the same types of angry young men. I would say to put both on your list when they come to DVD.

Pleasing notes were struck by Lars and the Real Girl, a humanist fable that is truly put across by the intuitive and daring acting of Ryan Gosling/ razor-sharp script combo, and Wristcutters: A Love Story, which was flawed but still pleasing both in terms of its cleverness and mordant wit. Terrible title, enjoyable film.

This is not all I have seen, and I will wrap up at the end of the month. On to Beowulf!

5 comments:

Laura Greenback said...

Hi I'm writing from Bmore Live magazine www.bmorelive.com. We are new and looking for freelancers, so if you want you should send me some writing samples of movie reviews to lgreenback@bmorelive.com. Thanks!

jhaddock said...

Are you going for the full, IMAX 3d Beowulf experience or the more pedestrian "flat" experience?

Onetet said...

brief cameo to tell you how much I enjoy and appreciate your blog!

charmcitycineaste said...

onetet, thank you for your kind words!

jhaddock, It seems like the 3D may be the correct choice as it may distract me from just how far they have strayed from the original source material. This is assuming that the initial mixed reviews of the film are accurate. I am hoping to catch it this weekend, but things are a little overloaded. Let me know what you thought of it.

u-Lu-Lu said...

Many moons later...I just saw "Wristcutters" last night. I agree with your assessment, and I'll add that the desolate landscape and Patrick Fugit's pouty lips were highlights for me. I thought it had some very touching quiet moments too. This is Nola, by the way.