Monday, June 1, 2009

Films Viewed (May 2009)

The Player
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
X-men Origins: Wolverine
La Cicatrice Interieure
Star Trek
Tokyo Sonata
Gacy
Tyson
Kansas City
The Girlfriend Experience
Lymelife
Valkyrie
Hoop Dreams
Anvil! The Story of Anvil
Drag Me to Hell

Key
The Charles
The Senator
The Landmark Harbor East
The Rotunda
Other (DVD, On Demand, cable)
Total: 16 films (10 in theaters)

Notes: This month, I welcome the independent Rotunda to the key. I imagine I will be seeing films there soon enough.

The summer movie season began, which means it's time to go to the Landmark. I was surprised about their recent decision to actually play two smaller films. I figured they didn't have the room with all the blockbusters rolling in.

Quite a mix of high and low this month. I particularly enjoyed Tokyo Sonata, a film which, in my view, captured the angst of recent times note-perfectly (although opinion was divided). It was one of many films the Charles has run for a week or two, hoping that something sticks.

It was surprising to have the opportunity to see Drag Me to Hell at the Charles. I had a lot of fun, as the film hearkens back to when Sam Rami made Sam Rami movies. Still, it was odd not to see it at the mall in 1987.

The Altman retrospective came to an end, and so did the revival series. It seems that instead of "grab bag" stop-gaps, the revival series is taking a break. I hope it is a brief one.

Up next, film exhibition in Baltimore in general (including an auction date for the Senator). Until then...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,

I promote events at the Maryland Science Center and thought that you and the readers of Charm City Cineaste would be interested in upcoming movies at the Science Center’s St. John Properties IMAX Theater. This is the only true IMAX experience in Maryland, with a five story screen and 11,000 watt surround sound system.

On Wednesday, June 24 the Maryland Science Center will premier Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen with extra scenes exclusive to IMAX. Please let me know if you would like more information; I’d be happy to send along the press release.

If you’d like, I can also make sure you get the latest news about upcoming events at the theater.

Thanks,

Dan

dan@himmelrich.com