Sunday, January 8, 2012

Gaps in My Filmic Memory 2011

NOTE: Despite safeguards against it, I apparently forgot to write up a few films I viewed this past year. If you remember any more movies I saw and didn't remember to write down, please let me know.

The Tree of Life is a baffling omission since I enjoyed it so thoroughly. Terrence Malick makes films rarely, but, when he does, I find them spectacular. A family is the focus of this cosmic pondering of the meaning of life which is not afraid to go all the way back to the beginning (of life itself) to get to where it is going. Some theaters put up signs indicating that there would be no refunds for the new Brad Pitt vehicle. In any case, it sure wasn't a direct hit on the "Joe Popcorn" crowd. (June 2011)

The Wild Child was a late Truffaut revival that I was happy to see, the (based on a true) story of a "wild boy" who is brought in and nurtured by a doctor who in interested in his condition. My newly-sharpened "horse sense" says the child fell somewhere on the autism spectrum, but that's my take. It was bonus to have this song stuck in my head throughout. (Saturday, December 3rd. 2011)


Key
The Charles
The Rotunda
The Senator
The Landmark Harbor East
Suburban Multiplex/ Video Americain / Creative Alliance
Netflix Instant/ Netflix DVD
(Please note: Whenever possible, all releases are linked to their pages on the Netflix website)
Total: 2 features (2 in theaters)

No comments: