Saturday, April 11, 2009

Films Viewed (March 2009)

The International
Another State of Mind
Heavy Traffic
The Big Lebowski
Watchmen
The Class
Brewster McCloud
I Love You, Man
Waltz with Bashir
Rumble Fish
Two Lovers
The Secret of the Grain
42nd Street Forever, Volume Three
The Long Goodbye
Gomorrah
Ghostbusters
Key
The Charles
The Senator/The Rotunda
The Landmark Harbor East
Other (The Zodiac, Some Dude's Personal Library, Video Americain)
Total: 15 features, 1 collection of trailers (12 in theaters/spaces)


Notes: In local news, the Senator's impending 4/20 auction seems more and more like a reality. Despite claims that he would declare bankruptcy and forestall the auction, the owner of the Senator, in his most recent public remarks, appears to have given up the ghost. The Senator is showing a slate of seemingly random classic movies until the auction and selling every conceivable scrap and tittle in a very depressing yard sale/auction taking place in the lobby. Check it out if you want to say goodbye.

In suburban multiplex news, the Muvico Egyptian 24 became the Cinemark Egyptian 24 seemingly overnight. I am doing some reasearch into what this means, if anything. I believe I was mistaken on some things in an earlier draft of this post. My apologies. I did discover this, which does not seem like a promising sign. More later, after some more research.

But isn't the above all fodder for my Film Exhibition in Baltimore posts? True. I did see some movies recently.

The Altman retrospective has rolled on at the Charles, allowing me to see several of his highly-recommended films for the first time. I also had the opportunity to enjoy some highly touted festival films during their brief runs at the Charles. I engaged in a private film lending library for the first time, and am still sitting on a rare film I borrowed from a friend that was downloaded from the Internet. I will write more about these new frontiers in my next post.

It was fun to attend a screening of a fondly-remembered comedy from my childhood at the Zodiac. I hope the practice continues and that the opportunities to see film in Baltimore continue to diversify, despite the economic cold front coming at us from all sides.

No comments: