Wednesday, October 22, 2008

OMG WTF HSM3?

So... today's City Paper announced that High School Musical 3: Senior Year is coming to the Charles theater this Friday. It will replace films like Before I Forget, a French film about an H.I.V. positive gay hustler contemplating his mortality.

HSM 3 at the Charles is certainly not the first sign of the end times, but still a shocking development, at least at first.

After some time to compose myself, I could see some precedent. The theater did show the musical version of Hairspray, which co-starred Zach Ephron, chief heartthrob of the series. It is also true that the theater has an opportunity to show a popular film in a time when clearance keeps most films of that stripe far away.

Still, with Sex Dive opening the same day at the Charles, is this an indicator of things to come?

3 comments:

Davey G. said...

Next thing you know, NKOTB will be making an appearance at the Charles.
I'm getting sick.

SS said...

I love HSM3 at the Charles. For those of us who live in the city, it's great to be able to avoid the multiplex when taking our kids to the movies they want to see.

And for what it's worth, in addition to my little kids, I have 2 college kids. HSM is like Truffaut for them. Don't know why--must be a postmodern thing in response to the cynicism of the age, but it's all the rage with the sophisticated college kids I know. Go figure.

charmcitycineaste said...

It is clear that this film showing in the city makes financial sense for the theater and also serves an audience that doesn't want to drive out to the county to see it.

I teach high school when I am not out at the movies, and I have sensed this same strange enthusiasm at times among my charges for this cleary tween targeted fare.