Sunday, July 13, 2008

Mister Lonely: Now Playing

After all my harrumphing and grousing, the new Harmony Korine film, Mister Lonely, is finally playing in Baltimore right now at the Landmark Harbor East. I doubt it will last past Thursday, what with Bat-mania about to descend, but it should be noted that it has finally arrived. As a reflection of the current perplexing state of film distribution and exhibition in Baltimore, I decided to watch the film via IFC In Theaters earlier this month after despairing that I would not be able to see it on the big screen. The price of the "download" of the film was less than the cost of a matinee ticket to the Landmark (not to mention parking and other costs), but more than a rental. I suspect this dilemma will become more common in the near future as the window between theatrical exhibition and home video is further collapsed. I enjoyed the film and would recommend it to anyone interested in an envelope-pushing film experience.

1 comment:

Onetet said...

I think Mister Lonely (at least as I saw it at Toronto last fall) could've stood to have about 20 minutes shaved out of it, but it was still worthwhile -- and one of the more intriguing "comeback" films I can think of.

odd to think that harmony korine's been around long enough to be speaking of a comeback, but nevertheless: here we are.