Sunday, February 24, 2008

On the Academy Awards

Despite my love of film, I do not much care for certain aspects of Oscar season.

Yes, I watch every year. Yes, I appreciate different parts of the telecast. I am also in the minority in that I have seen many, if not all, of the films in competition in the main catagories.

But still, the reduction of the cinematic arts to a horserace does bother me.

I guess it is the same as when a yearlong church attendee is crowded out on Christmas eve. Several questions are natural, inevitable: Who are you people? What are doing here? Why do you care about this now?

I must admit I tire of conversations with people who are still trying to make the time to see No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood, and so on. What more can I say to them except that these films are of quality and are worth their time? Box office returns indicate that they won't make it out, may never make it out (give or take Juno). But still they must talk to me, since I am the "movie guy."

Now granted, since most people now see films via little red envelopes, the Oscars becomes a reason to rent. It is also widely assumed that films make more money at the box office after winning an award (I think the truth of that bit of folklore is best reflected in the sentiments expressed here).

Maybe I should just stop being so miffed about all this and be glad that people are talking about something besides for sports for a change around the ol' watercooler. Each year, it is certainly an uncomfortable fifteen minutes in the spotlight for me, but maybe more people will see better films as a result. Or maybe not.

No comments: