Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Film Exhibtion in Baltimore in General- December 2007

First, an apology for the delay. It has been hard to find the time.

December offered a ridiculous smorgashboard of films, the smaller films that could and the boundary-pushing ones that did not make the leap to a larger audience. I am a fan of both, so I was well pleased just trying to keep up with all the offerings. I did think it was a bit smug to list the number of the golden globe nominations next to the films playing at the Landmark, but I think all involved with that debacle wound up with egg on their face.

In the end, it seems as if the Charles, the Senator, and the Landmark walked away from the season with cash in hand. I was all over town, enjoying the ride. I even made it out into the county to enjoy the godless pleasures of the Golden Compass, which I enjoyed thoroughly.

I have yet to see There Will Be Blood, a fact that astonishes many close friends. I am looking forward to the film, and hope to see past the hype into what one can only hope is a truly great American film (pans aside). This weekend should put a fix on that, if I can spare the two hours and forty minutes required.

Although some of the more adventurous among our ranks have had their hackles raised by what they perceive to be a "safe" choice for a series, I have been personally enjoying the Charles theater's 25 film Hitchcock revival, which will run until sometime in the future. This week's selection, The Lady Vanishes, was an unexpected delight (despite the obvious politcizing towards the end of the film). It will play again on Thursday at nine, and I say find the time.

Speaking now of film rental, one video store has closed, while another has opened. I must mark the passing of the great Baltimore County-based chain Movie Time Video. Their stock was remarkably deep and varied, and they provided many an enjoyable evening of strolling through their stacks to take home another find during my college years. The next time you check your Netflix cue, remember what we are losing, chain by chain, store by store. Does anyone know if any of the locations are still open? Google can give one false hope.

On a more upbeat note, Vanguard Video has opened its doors in Mount Vernon. The store is smallish, but I can attest that it is "all killer, no filler." The store has trimmed the fat and is brimming with Criterion discs and Kung Fu flicks. I would say to stop by if you can navigate past the ongoing construction. Information including hours and location can be found here.

Well, that's it for now. I promise more content soon. I do wish to avoid being one of those bloggers who starts out all fired up and stops posting. We shall see... I shall at least add some useful links in the near future.